Monday, June 29, 2009

Looking in the mirror



Do you ever look in the mirror and not like what you see? I am not talking about wrinkles, hair, nose and eyes I am talking about who you are deep inside.
We spend time and money having the oil in our car checked and changed to make sure it has no gunk in it so it will run at it's very best. We should at least do the same thing for ourselves. And like the oil in our car it isn't always easy or fun to change the gunk ourselves, but we need to so we can be the best God intended for us to be. That starts by being completely and totally honest with yourself.
It is very easy for me to point out flaws in others, but for me to look in the mirror and look deep into my soul, well let me just say the plank in my eye is a big one!
As my walk with Christ grows stronger and I not only study the bible but apply it to my life, I am quickly finding out I am not all that and a bag of chips! I have some serious work to do, well me and God. As usual He was waiting patiently for me to "get" it.
I can be selfish, opinionated, moody, obsessed with material things, gossip,impatient, judgemental....you get the picture. I have almost knocked out the 10 commandments with this list!
The good news is my Father in heaven loves me despite these shortcomings. He knows I am working on this list because when my time comes and I go home I want Him to say "Well done my good and faithful servant." I do have good qualities but sometimes the bad ones out shine the good ones and that is not going to fly in my book.
I look back to where I was and yes, I have come a very long way. What use to be on my list and has been taken off is:
1.Worrying. All the time about anyone, anything and everything. I gave that one to God. Worrying is not going to change anything and when I worry I am not trusting God.
2.Fear. Fear of trying new things, being bold, of speaking out, it's true, I use to be a scardy cat big time! Fear is Satan messing with you!
3.Trust. Big one! I didn't trust anyone as far as I could throw them. Now, I at least give them a chance.
4.Boundaries. Wow!!!! A huge hurdle. I use to let every ones life run mine. If I had plans and someone needed me for anything I would blow of my plans and run to the rescue. Now, not so much. It is ok to say no. I refuse to be an enabler. I discovered when you say yes to everyone and everything then you are not giving your very best, but when you say yes to a few things you are giving excellence!
5.Forgivness: I have forgiven everyone in my life who has ever hurt me. That is a very good feeling.
See, I have made quite a dent in my list! One of my favorite verses in the bible is: Philippians 3:13-14 Brothers, I do not consider myself yet to have taken hold of it. But one thing I do: forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.
Will I be everything God intended me to be? I have no idea. What I do know is when my time comes I will leave this life and go onto the next one knowing I gave it my very best.

No comments: