Thursday, June 11, 2009

In the year 2525

When I was around 11 years old there was a song called "In the year 2525" That song scared me to death! I remember thinking "no way will that ever happen."
Well it hasn't quite reached that extreme but here we are in the year 2009 and people can't seem to put down their cell phones for 2 seconds. We have it connected to us 24/7.
I would be a big fat liar if I didn't admit I love technology. I blog, I facebook, I text. Technology has helped me see my son who is half way across the world, write down my feelings to inspire or help others and reconnect with old friends. No twitter, thank you very much, BUT when technology interferes with manners and good old common courtesy, well that takes it to a whole other level.
I have had people come into the office where I work and want to have their eyes examined, have someone standing behind them and have the nerve to say "hang on a minute" while they text or talk on their cell phone! I have been talking to friends and they receive a text and will not even say "hold on a minute" they start texting! People have such a attitude of "entitlement" anymore.
The art of conversation and letter writing is going away. People have phones stuck to their ears and look like they are talking to themselves! I see people driving and texting which I think should be illegal. Phones go off in church, waiting areas, conferences, meeting, while you are talking to someone, at school anywhere and everywhere. Our society is losing their manners right along with their social skills.
Personally I have no desire to be that connected to anyone 24/7. I want to hear your voice, look at your face, see your expressions, I want to enjoy your company.
My husband is one of those guys who does not need all this technology. He doesn't text and I set up a facebook page for him about 2 weeks ago and he has been on it maybe 3 times. He knows that relationships are built on good old face to face conversations. He knows that there is a lot more to life than texting and facebooking. We both like to turn off the phones yes even at home and just enjoy our little piece of the world. My point is turn it off for a while and enjoy life!
I have posted the lyrics to that scary song. I think it was written in 1969. It is amazing how much is true.

In the year 2525
If man is still alive
If woman can survive they may find

In the year 3535
Ain't gonna need to tell the truth, tell no lies
Everything you think, do and say
Is in the pill you took today

In the year 4545
Ain't gonna need your teeth, won't need your eyes
You won't find a thing to chew
Nobody's gonna look at you

In the year 5555
Your arms hanging limp at your sides
Your legs got nothing to do
Some machine's doing that for you

In the year 6565
Ain't gonna need no husband, won't need no wife
You'll pick your son, pick your daughter too
From the bottom of a long glass tube, whoa-oh

In the year 7510
If God's a-comin' He oughta make it by then
Maybe He'll look around Himself and say
Guess it's time for the judgment day

In the year 8510
God is gonna shake His mighty head
He'll either say I'm pleased where man has been
Or tear it down and start again, whoa-oh

In the year 9595
I'm kinda wonderin' if man is gonna be alive
He's taken everything this old Earth can give
And he ain't put back nothin', whoa-oh

Now it's been ten thousand years
Man has cried a billion tears
For what he never knew
Now man's reign is through

But through eternal night
The twinkling of starlight
So very far away
Maybe it's only yesterday

1 comment:

Tracy said...

Thanks for the thought-provoking post!

Hugs,
Tracy