Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Can you say "MAMMOGRAM!"

Earlier this year I posted about my mammogram experience. I received a lot of emails about it so I thought I would post it again since October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month. I have relatives and friends who are survivors and I have lost friends to the disease. As a matter of fact a friend of mine who lives in another state read my post and thought she should schedule a mammogram. Guess what? They found a lump! But they found it early! I pray someday there will be a cure. So go get that Mammogram!


I had my yearly mammogram today. I have mine on or close to my birthday. Kind of a present to myself. I have no clue why but I thought I would share this very worthy but awkward experience with you.
Don't get me wrong I am soooo grateful for the mammogram or as I like to call it the "boob crusher". Every time I stand up to those very flat plates that are getting ready to smash my girls I wonder who "who came up with this?". I thinketh it was a husband who was mad at his wife. Anyway it had to be a man
Ok, first of all you can't wear deodorant before you have one. The one time you are going to sweat like a pig and you can't wear deodorant! When you arrive at the radiologist they hand you a gown and send you into a very small room where you are told to undress from the waist up. They now have this little cape with one snap in the front. I felt like "Mammogram Woman" I mean you already feel like you are on candid camera and now you have to wear a cape. The cape ended up being a good thing. The old ones well lets just say more often than not the "girls" ended up in the wrong holes!
A new thing I experienced today is they now put these pretty little band aids on YOUR nipples. Ok, like that isn't awkward. Supposedly this gives the Dr or radiologist a focus of which way the boob is pointing. I found this to be very concerning. Your a Dr. and you can't tell which way the boob is pointing without a bandaid on it? I see my x-rays and I know which way they are pointing! Personally I think the tech puts them on for a laugh.
Ok, Cape pulled back, band aids on now you step up and the tech grabs your boob and moves it around on this cold glass plate like it is play dough. They shape it anyway they want too. Then you are suppose to lean toward the glass back, relax the shoulder opposite of the boob that is being flattened like a pancake, hold your breath and pray to God you do not pass out! Then you hear those dreaded words "we have to take that one over again." Of course you do. Let's not forget there are the many different poses. You kind of feel like you are getting a boob mug shot! When all is said and done you and your cape go back to the tiny room where they offer you deodorant, get dress, go on and pray that no lumps are found.

SAVE THE BOOBIES! THINK PINK!

No comments: