Tuesday, May 12, 2009

When we follow our hearts


Today is my youngest son, Dustin's birthday and he is 20 years old. He is a Marine and serving in Iraq.It is his first birthday away from his family. He called last night to let me know he was officially 20 because they are a day ahead of us.;) He was in such a good mood and sounded so content. We talked for a while and after I hung up I thought "here is this young man thousands of miles away from home doing his part for freedom, it's his birthday and no one over there gives a flip, yet he is so content. Honestly, his attitude amazes me. It was then it dawned on me he is happy because he is doing what he was called to do! Dustin always wanted to serve his country. He knew that and he had a lot of obstacles to overcome to reach his goal. He had some health issues, but he knew, that he knew, that he knew this is what God called him to do and he would whatever it took make it happen.
I have been so disheartened lately. Hug Away has received only a few donations and I can't figure it out. I have been praying and pondering and thinking what do I need to do to make others passionate about this ministry. God spoke to my heart and said "keep going, do not give up." He knew I was thinking about throwing in the towel. He spoke to my heart and the passion returned!
I realize I could be doing a lot more to make this ministry all that God knows it can be. That changes today. At the end of my days I will not stand before God and say "I did nothing to make a difference." I want to hear Him say "well done my good and faithful servant!" My spiritual gifts is mercies. I mean it is the highest number on the spiritual gift chart. God gave me that gift so I could make a difference in the lives of families who desired to adopt and in the lives of orphans who will never be adopted.
My sink was backed up for 4 days and I was really put out by it. When we finally got it fixed I stood there cleaning out the sink truly appreciating the convenience and the sound of running water. As I stood there I heard God say "what about those with no water?" Here I was so put out because I couldn't run water in my sink and there are those in the world who have no water or walk for miles every day for dirty water.
I have said that we are not all called to adopt or even lead a ministry but as Christians we are called to do something! We are not put on this earth to just live and be concerned about ourselves. We are suppose to make a difference. I have friends who have so many wonderful ministries. God spoke to their hearts and they chose to do something about it and they are making a difference.
I know how easy it is to "feel" for the moment. I am the queen of tears when it comes to a song or video that touches my heart. I can sit with the best of them and think "wow, I am going to do something about this." But once the song is over or the video stops, then what?
I am praying for people who truly want to make a difference. People who will walk the walk and not just talk the talk. I want people to say "I can do this, I can make a difference!"
One of my favorite quotes is from Ann Frank and we all know the horrors she went through. But even through all the things that happened to her and her family she still had the heart to say "People who give will never be poor." Think about it. Giving doesn't always mean money. Yes we need it to help others but it also means giving of your time, your talents, your heart.
As I type this children are dying of hunger, disease and neglect and I truly believe some will die of a broken heart and a wounded spirit. They are being made sex slaves and sold like animals. As I write these words a child is alone, afraid and hungry. She or he have probably never known what it feels like to be comforted or loved, or how it feels to be safe. They never think about what they want to be when they grow up, because unless someone like you or I intervene chances are they will not grow up. The word "Hope" doesn't exist for them. There are families who have been called to adopt who want to open their hearts and homes to a child but are thinking "How? We can't afford this?
I am asking you to pray about what you can do to make a difference. Don't sit and think, pray, get moving.
Yesterday without even knowing it Dustin showed me what contentment was. It is doing what you were called to do and doing it with joy and passion.
Happy Birthday baby boy and thank you for teaching your mom a wonderful lesson.

No comments: