Sunday, May 24, 2009

God Bless America!

Saturday morning I was up at 4:30 a.m. thanks to Dustin's dog who needed out. It has been a log time since I have been up that early. I needed to make a cake for a funeral that morning and then go place flowers on my parents graves, which is about a 25 minute drive.
I made the cake and headed off to the cemetery. I was blessed to see the most beautiful sunrise. I realized it had been a while since I had seen a sunrise. As I pulled into the cemetery it was early and quiet. I went to my dads grave first. He is buried in the Veteran Section. There were all the flags that I believe the boy scouts put up every year. As I walked up the little hill to his grave and saw all the American flags my heart ached for all of the men and women who have given their lives for the freedoms we have in America and the families they left behind.
We remember them. We should also remember those who were wounded. Some are left without limbs, others burned, some are now blind, others with head wounds and they will never have the life they once knew. Then there are those who come back from war with the scars we are not able to see. Sadly many of these Veterans end up homeless.
America does not take care of our heroes they way we should. It is really disgraceful and sad. The very country they fought for often forgets them once they come home. No one is fighting for them.
Today at church my son was able to skype in and talk with us for a little bit. As I saw his face on the big screen a flood of memories hit me. Dustin has attended our church since he was 2 years old and now here he is 20 years old, sitting in a world far away, doing his part for freedom. Those who have watched him grow up are family to him. He wanted to thank them personally for their prayers and support. We were not sure he would be able to skype in so it was a surprise and everyone was so happy to see him! When Dustin was home on leave before he was deployed he was sitting next to me in church and as I opened my bible it fell open to Joshua 1:9 Have I not be commanded you to be strong and courageous? Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go. I showed him the verse, we looked at each other and smiled. Nothing had to be said.
We had our grandkids over for the weekend. I am 5? and love to have fun and I have lots of energy but I am hear to tell you a 4,5 & 7 year old will wear you out! Mike made Koren food Saturday and that night we made cupcakes in honor of Memorial Day. Today after church we came home and grilled. It was so good! Afterwards we just hung out.
This weekend I took the time to appreciate sunrises, peace and quiet, kids, cupcakes and our vets. I need to start doing that every day of my life.
I hope you enjoyed your Memorial Day weekend. Remember freedom isn't free.

Labor Day

Monopoly time

His favorite place to be! ;)

Wore out

Brody Chillin and giving me the look

Memorial Day cupcakes

Jordan trying to force Cam to eat kimchee

1 comment:

Tracy said...

Hi Elaine!
Our church did something really neat for Memorial Day this year. Our pastor found an explanation for the way the flag is folded and put it in the bulletin. Then he had two of the veterans in our congregation demonstrate as he read the explanation. When they were finished, we sang the national anthem and then applauded all of our veterans, who were standing in the front of the sanctuary, for a second time. It was very moving. I would be glad to share the explanation with you if you would like. Just email me or post a comment on my blog. My email is senior4him@frontiernet.net.

Hugs,
Tracy