Thursday, January 29, 2009

What makes you smile?




There are a lot of things that make me smile. My faith, my marriage, my family, chocolate, sunsets, the ocean. So if you were to ask me what makes me smile I could not give you one answer. My faith, my relationship with God makes this life on earth awesome. I know, to put it bluntly things suck right now, but when you have God in your life you can still have joy and hope and that makes me smile. When I look at how He has blessed my life how can I not smile? I sure didn't deserve it but because of his amazing grace I am blessed and therefor I smile.
When I look at my kids faces, yes no matter how old they are they are still kids to me, but when I look into their faces I see 6 amazing gifts. Six gifts that God blessed my life with through birth and adoption. Now that makes me smile!
If you ever came to my house you would see it is comfortable but not fancy by any means. It isn't filled with super nice things but it is filled with lots of love.
My van is 9 years old. When I am in our van and my kids and grand kids are laughing and singing, I smile. When I see my husband melt when he looks at our daughters, I smile. He gets this look that I only see when he looks at them. When our sons are over and they are watching football with their dad and yelling at the refs and players on the other team (like they really can hear them) I smile. When my sons text me and it starts with "momma" I smile. When I look at my three daughters sleeping so peacefully I smile.
There are a lot of things we can be upset about. I could sit here all day and make a list of problems, concerns and worries and how bad things are in the world. If I did that I would be wasting precious time. Besides the worry lines are not becoming at all. Don't get me wrong I have my bad days, but most of the time I choose to smile and be happy. It is a choice.
And if anyone reading this thinks "sure easy for her" I would like to set the record straight. I have lived through hell. Things happened that I choose not to talk about, but even when I was a little girl and before I became a christian I made the choice to break the cycle and make a difference. It is a choice.
I hope today that you choose too be happy and smile!

1 comment:

Kristi said...

Thank you for this post. It came at a time when I really needed it! What a Godsend you are. : )