Saturday, February 5, 2011

What the blizzard of 2011 has taught me

We are on our 5th day of being snowed  in. Now I know why I love the beach! Often I have wished for days where I would have no where to go and could get things done around my house that I never have time to get done. To spend time with my normally busy family, to sleep in. Just chill!!! No pun intended! I should have added the option to leave when needed to my wish list!
All that aside I have learned so much  from these past 5 days. Here are a few of those things in no particular order.
  1. SPOILED. Yes its' true I am spoiled. I take for granted I can get in my car and just go wherever I want, whenever I want.The point is I can go!
  2. I found out I can cook 3 meals a day 5 days in a row!  Sure I could have asked my sweet husband to get in his truck and run out and get something but I didn't. I was testing myself. We eat out so often that it isn't fun anymore. We made the choice a couple of months ago to back off eating out so much. , but this was a true test and I did it! And my family appreciated it.
  3. Get caught up on those life books and scrapbooks. Well we got a little bit done.
  4. Board games, cards, movie nights, popcorn, smores. To much of a good thing!
  5. Here's a biggie. A week without work means no money. Mike works but my job is included in our budget. Not long ago I would have been freaking out. This time I didn't.  Actually I was getting ready to ask God what am I going to do? But before I could get it out "trust me Elaine" was laid on my heart. I smiled and said OK! Haven't worried since! He will provide.
This week I have become more aware, more appreciative, more GRATEFUL, more tolerant, more patient, and learned to trust God completely!
 I also realize everyone needs time for themselves. I'm not talking about going to work or school. We need  time to be alone, spend some quiet time with God, hang out with your friends, go work out, shop, read whatever you want to do. We all need that space. Mike and I have never had the need to be around each other all the time. And when we do spend time together we appreciate it so much more!
It looks like this isn't going away any time soon so I'm going to try and look at the positive. I have shelter, food, heat and my family is safe. And most important I have God looking out for me.


Mike & Dustin helping some people who are stuck.

I wiped out!

Kennedy smiled the whole time!


Jordan wants to learn to ski!

Kennedy went down the hill by herself. She laned in a big drift!

Michael helping Kennedy.

My oldest loves this weather! His dream is to move to the mountains someday.

Go Jordan!

Mike helping someone else get out! He helped a lot of people this week.

Front yard view

Enough said.

Little dude found some food in our back yard

.

No comments: