Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Grateful


Though we should always speak of things we are thankful & grateful for November seems to be the month we acknowledge it more often because of Thanksgiving.
I have been going through some "stuff" lately that has really been a test of my perseverance and my faith. A lot of the stuff I have brought on myself because I tried to take care of things my way and didn't pray about it. Yes it's true. Those of us who believe in God also stumble once in a while. And I am very grateful He never forsakes me. I am grateful He loves me that much!
November is not only the month we celebrate Thanksgiving it is also National Adoption Awareness Month. This is a time we focus on children in foster care here in America and orphans all over the world who need a family. We have been celebrating "Adoption Sunday" since 2002 at Arrow Heights. And every single year during this celebration someones heart has been touched and 11 children have been adopted by members of our congregation and have come home to their forever family.
This year it was tough to get this Sunday on the calender. We are a very busy church and have lots going on. I have always believed that things happen for a reason and though we did not get the date we requested I am grateful for the date that was given to us.
Yesterday we celebrated and you could feel Gods presence. To say it was amazing would be an understatement. Not one time, from the songs that were sung, to the adoption testimony, to the sermon, not one word wavered from the focus of adoption.
I have had people that I have never spoke to tell me that this service was one of the most amazing services they have ever attended. Every single person involved in the service could relate to adoption. I am so grateful for all those involved. They shared their hearts and you could feel it.
Today even through rough times I am grateful. I am grateful for God who loves us so much He gave His only son to die for our sins. He chose to adopt us into His family. I am grateful for a husband who is a Godly man who loves his family and works hard to support them. I am grateful for six of the greatest kids anyone could ask for. All of them have good hearts, they are kind and they love their family. I am grateful for my grand kids who make life very interesting! I am grateful for my sisters who share a journey with me that many others will never know and we were always there for one another. I am grateful for friends who will let me be myself and never judge me. I am grateful for my church family who not only reaches out to the world and our neighbors but are there for one another and will stand by your side when others will just walk away. I am grateful for those who support Hug Away so we can help adoptive families and orphans. I am grateful for those who choose to fight and die for our freedom, the very freedom so many take for granted.
Yes, I have many things to be grateful for, a lot more than what I have written so far and it is sad that often I focus on what is going wrong in my life than what is good about it. And that is crazy because the good list is always longer than the bad list! Why do we do that?
I hope today you will take a moment and think about all the things you have to be grateful for.

The Pilgrims made seven times more graves than huts. No Americans have been more impoverished than these who, nevertheless, set aside a day of thanksgiving.
H. U. Westermayer:

No comments: