Saturday, November 10, 2007

Semper Fi & Sons















What you will do to hear you sons voice! Yesterday I was standing across the street from the school waiting for Cameron. I was talking on my cell to my sister in Texas. All of the sudden I see Jordan running towards me with Kennedy on her back! She said "mama Dustin is on the phone!" I thought she said he was calling me on my cell, so I told my sister bye. She said " no mom he is on the phone and he only has 10 minutes." Jordan stayed to wait for Cameron and this old girl took off. I can run! This African American lady saw me and she was grinning and cheered me on! She said " You go girl you can do it!" By the time I got home (after running a little over 1/2 a block) he had hung up. I was devastated. He called back a minute later but he only had like 3 minutes to talk and you could tell he was disappointed as was I.
He needed to know our travel arrangements and to tell me his platoon video was up on the website.
This is awful but I went to the site, found his platoon and couldn't tell which one was him! Even my daughters couldn't tell. Their hats are way down over their eyes and they all have the same look. Anyway we narrowed it down to 3. We even go his senior picture down and tried to compare chins and noses! Mike came home and it took a minute but there he was! 3rd row down 5th from the left (or the one in the middle) and about 40 pounds lighter! It was like getting your referral picture when you adopt. You just keep looking at it over and over. I couldn't download the video so I pulled it up, froze the frame and took a picture of him! A picture I will carry with me for a very long time.
Dustin blew up the motor in his car and we sold it for junk. My sister and I were out there cleaning it out. He loved to go mudding. Man did he! There was mud in the car! I found his Cd's, mud, his rugby jersey, mud, and his cleats and yes more mud. I miss him so much. See right now I know he will be home for at least 10 days after graduation, but after that we have no clue when we will see him again.
I think the hardest part of being a parent is letting go. You wonder if they ever listened to anything you ever said. Do they still pray and seek God for strength and guidance? You pray they make wise decisions, drive safely, be kind and you hope they know how much they are loved and that you would do anything in the world for them. Including lay down your life for them. Then you realize your son is going to be a Marine. He has to have courage and honor to come to this decision. He is willing to lay down his life for his country, our freedom. You see that he is good and brave and strong and you have to let go and continue to pray.
We have three sons and they no longer live at home. They are all great guys with big hearts who adore their little sisters. I can not think of a time after they have spoken to me or Mike that they have not said; on the phone, in person, in front of friends, they will yell it across the room "I love you." I miss the days of baseball, basketball, loud rock music and late night talks. I miss the piles of laundry, empty fridge and their guy humor. Yes, I miss my boys, but I look forward to watching these young men grow. What a blessing they have been, are and always will be. Thank you Michael, Cody and Dustin for being my guys! I love you.

1 comment:

Psalm139verse14 said...

Wow, Elaine, what a precious blessing for you to hear your son's voice!! I know you are so proud of your whole family.

libby