Tuesday, April 16, 2013

CHOOSE TO LOVE

One of the most important truths I have learned the past few months is that love is a choice and we must teach our mind to lead our hearts. A year ago I would have said "bull". Even as a Christian I thought you followed your heart because that is where you felt everything...right? After all when we are happy our heart jumps for joy. When we are sad it breaks. When we are angry, well my heart can go all over the map. But think about it. We see or hear, process then we "choose" how we are going to react and that is when our heart goes to work. It all begins in our mind. There are scriptures that prove this. I am learning to allow my mind to lead my heart. 
I just finished doing the LOVE DARE from the movie Fireproof. It was not always easy but I did it! I highly suggest it. I also read Redeeming Love by Francine Rivers. That book changed how I view my love for everyone! One of the very best books I have ever read. This is all part of the learning process.
It wasn't easy for me to grasp all of this new knowledge because my spiritual gifts are mercy and compassion. These two gifts can make your heart break more than you think you can handle and your mind go mach 10 all at once! Putting my mind in charge of my heart has helped me set pretty healthy boundaries. So when my heart wants to help all the orphans in this world my mind will say "really Elaine?

Grammy and Jameson, just because!
As I learn to love even when it doesn't feel right to or learn to forgive when it doesn't seem fair or hang in there when I don't think I can, I know I am growing the way God desires for me to grow. That makes it all worth it.

No comments: