Friday, April 8, 2011

She had a stroke

Sunday I received a call from my niece that my youngest sister suffered a stroke. All I said is what hospital and ran out the door.
As I drove to the hospital I was trying to keep myself calm. I wanted to be strong for my nieces. They are 17 & 22 and their world had just been turned inside out. A stroke? She is only 49. I prepared myself for what I was getting ready to see & hear. Our family has been through this before with my aunts and both my parents. All the wires, tubes & machines. Trust me it is something you don't want to relive.
There she was. Just lying there. Hooked up to several lifesaving machines. She looked so small and helpless. She is small. She is the youngest of five girls and the tiniest one. I knew prayers were already being said and I decided to focus on believing she was going to pull through this.
The next day she still hadn't responded and I was leaning over her saying her name and she opened her eyes and said "I'm hungry!"  I about had a heart attack she scared the jeebees out of me! I had my husband run and get her daughters. Of course with a stroke your words aren't very clear but let me tell you she said I'm hungry just fine!
 FINALLY at 5:00 we were able to speak to the doctor. He was a very nice man but the look on his face was one of bewilderment. He said "I didn't expect her to live through the night. I am amazed. not only is this a rare type of strokee, a Hemorrhagic stroke  (only 17% of stroke victims suffer this type of stroke) it is rarer (is that a word?) that someone would survive it. Again he shook his head in disbelief." The kid in me wanted to jump up an down, wave my hands and say "I know the answer!" But I composed my self and with a big smile said " I know. God, faith & lots of prayers!" He wouldn't acknowledge this. That's OK. Those who believe, have faith and have prayed give all the glory to God! Miracle number #1
My sister  cognitive part of her brain was not damaged...Thank you God, but her sensory part was. She doesn't know when to swallow so the doctor was concerned about pneumonia. He said if that happened it would kill her. He said they may have to put in a trachea tube possibly the next day. OK more prayers. Note: It is Friday and he said this on Monday guess who still doesn't have a trachea tube? Miracle #2
Yesterday my sister was moved from ICU to the stroke floor. No trachea tube, no heart monitor. Miracle #3
My sister has a long hard road ahead of her. Life as she knew it will never be the same. Through this I expect and believe God is going to do even more miracles.
I give God all the glory but I also want to acknowledge the amazing doctors and the extraordinary nurses in St. Johns Neurotrauma Intensive Care Unit  that took care of my sister with such care and compassion.They are talented, young and beautiful inside and out. Danelle, Natalie, Kendall and Allison you will forever hold a special place in my heart!
If you read this I would be so grateful if you would  pray for my sisters healing.

For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the LORD, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future; Jeremiah 29:11


1 comment:

Joy said...

Keeping Aunt Jamie and the girls in my prayers. I love you all so very much! So, sorry we dont get to see everyone and let them know it. Maybe it is time we all change that. s