Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Coolness

Today, well not just today it seems more often than not you see kids trying to act cool, be someone else or something  other than themselves. And It seems they are getting younger and younger. Most of us can relate to those days. I know I did. My most embarrassing moments were in my late teens. So for a few good laughs I thought I would share a couple of my funniest ones with you.
I had two best friends I ran around with. We did everything together, including but not limited to trying to be cool and embarrassing ourselves.
I remember we had borrowed one of our parents car and decided to drive to McAlester. I have no clue why, maybe it was because we hadn't been embarrassed there yet. We pulled into a drive in to order a coke. As luck would have it a car with three cute guys pulled in next to us. We put on our best coolness. You know acting like we didn't notice them, laughing loudly and other sad acts of coolness. Yes, we were pretty cool...until out of know where a bird flew in the car! We freaked, the bird freaked and our coolness flew right out the window with the bird! When all was said and done, it took us what seemed like forever to regain our composure. Remember the coolness went with the bird. The guys were laughing so hard they didn't even notice we left. It goes without saying we never went back to McAlester.
Another time, yet in a parents car we went to Berryhill. That was were we hung out because a lot of our friends lived there. There was this road at Chandler Park that was pretty steep It was just beginning to turn dark and we drove up the road to see if any of our friends were there. Well, as luck would have it three of the cutest guys in Berryhill were sitting in their car listening to music waiting for people to show up. They were parked facing downhill so we drove up next to them facing uphill. We began talking when my friend who was driving put her hand out the window to give one of the guys in the car her phone number. Just as he took the paper my friend who apparently thought she had put the car in park accidentally hit the gas instead of the brake and all of the sudden we were heading down the hill in reverse at about 60 miles an hour! OK how were we going to save face on this one? We decided to wave bye to them like we had planned that! I'm sure the believed us...not. Yes, we took Berryhill off our list of places to hang out. Our list was getting short.
Remember I mentioned we were always in one of our parents cars? My friends parents had a Falcon that had push button reverse, park, neutral and drive. We loved that car. Well, one night let's say we borrowed the car without asking. This was before the ride in reverse down the hill had taken place and we were headed to Berryhill. We always took Avery Drive. If you have ever drove down Avery you know on one side is Chandler Park with the steep cliffs and on the other side was a steep drop off. Well we felt bad about taking the care and decided to get it back home before we were caught. I asked if I could drive. The radio didn't work so we sang the one song we all knew the words to, Carol Kings "It's to late." So, we are driving along singing it was 10pm and pitch black out and my friend yells " I think that's my parents heading this way, duck!" We ducked, yes including yours truly who was driving. I came to my senses in time right before we came to the drop off! Now seriously what good would have ducking done? And it was so dark I don't think her parents would have noticed it was us!
Through the years I have learned that being yourself is much cooler than being something or someone your not. I wish I had realized this in my teens.
I still haven't been back to McAlester or Berryhill!Now I am happy to say I like who I am and who I have become. I hope you will do the same. After all God made you and He doesn't make mistakes! Now how cool is that?!


In the words of one Dr. Seuss,
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.”

No comments: