Sunday, March 13, 2011

And the beat goes on

Last night I had the pleasure of taking my daughter to hear Hye-Jin Kim a extraordinary violinist from S. Korea. She was playing with the Signature Symphony at our local community college. As I listened to this talented young violinist and a fantastic symphony, my mind went back to the first time I was introduced to a symphony.
Growing up in my home wasn't always pleasant. School and playing outside and listening to music were escapes for me. When I was at school I would imagine that I had a life like the rest of my friends. There was no yelling or hitting. We knew we would eat. At the end of the day myself along with my sisters were tucked in bed by our parents as they wished us sweet dreams.
Outside all the stress would come out! My sisters and I would play all day outside and not think of what night time would bring behind the walls of our home. And the music? Well I would sing and dance to all of it! Country, Rock, Musicals. For a moment my spirit was free!
As I entered the 6th grade things were getting worse at home. But I would soon find a new escape. Every 6 weeks the school I attended in San Antonio would take the 6th graders downtown to hear the San Antonio Symphony. The girls wore their prettiest dresses and the boys wore a dress shirt and tie. The first time I walked in the beautiful coliseum where the orchestra played I knew I had was about to experience something wonderful. A new love for music was born.
Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life. Red Auerbach
I love all kinds of music. Not a big fan of opera or rap. But like all music it is an expression of ones feelings, thoughts and beliefs. I don't like it when they feel the need to cuss, sing about sex or use violent terms against women. Or you have the bass so loud in your car that you shake everything around you and can't understand the words!  Don't see the point of that at all.
My three sons love music, not the symphonies but they love music. Two of my daughters play violin and I played the flute from 7th - 12th grade. Last night was the first time since the 6th grade that I was able to share my love for the symphony with someone! Cameron was invited to go but she chose not to. I found that a little odd. She is in the 6th grade and began playing the violin the beginning of the school year and she took to it like a duck to water. She  has a beautiful voice and she is Korean!  I thought she would love to go. But alas, it wasn't Justin Bieber! She will come around as soon as they find a cure for Bieber fever! Jordan loves different kinds of music also. Like me she appreciates the beauty that the sound of the orchestra brings. It speaks to your soul.
Music isn't just learning notes and playing them, You learn notes to play to the music of your soul. Katie Greenwood
I pray that Orchestra, Jazz bands, High School bands & choirs are never eliminated from schools. Those programs have helped thousands of kids throughout the years cope, dream and move on,
Jordan ready to play at the Broken Arrow PAC with the H.S. Orchestra

Then David and all Israel played music before God with all their might, with singing, on harps, on stringed instruments, on tambourines, on cymbals, and with trumpets."
1 Chronicles 13:8 (NKJV)


No comments: