Tuesday, November 18, 2008

November is National Adoption Awareness Month












Two years ago this month we received the news that I was going to travel to Vietnam in January to bring home our daughter. I remember it like it was yesterday.
Bless Jynger and Katies heart's, I really did try not too bug them too much. Then out of the blue in walks Katie with the good news and as hard as I tried to be cool about it I couldn't! I screamed, I am a jumper so I jumped up and down. Too make it official they did send me an email with the announcement of our G&R date.
We were about to start the process for China, when the fax came in that Vietnam was open. Even though we work in the same office I went back to my desk and emailed Jynger for information about adopting from Vietnam. I asked if there were any little girls ages 1-4 years old. She said "Elaine, I know of a little girl she is a waiting child, who is available and she would be perfect for your family." She knew the children in the orphanages well because she had been over there so often. I went back to her office and she was on the phone, Gail who was the case worker at the time asked me what was going on and I told her. She said "I know the perfect little girl for your family." now mind you they had several files of little girls and boys, but they had to wait for Vietnam to open before they could present them for adoption. Gail shows me a picture of the most beautiful little girl. Then Jynger comes around the corner and said "that is the little girl I wanted to show you." That night as my husband and I went out to celebrate our anniversary I showed him the picture of our daughter and said "happy anniversary babe." First reaction was "oh my gosh. and the next question was "what happened too China? Nine very long months later our girl came home. She has changed our lives in ways that I could have never imagined! Besides her nanny in Vietnam she will always have 4 very special "Aunties" in her life. Jynger, Deniese Dillon, Gail and Katie. They also helped me get through the process with patience and love.
People often ask us how we were lead to adopt. We have been blessed with three wonderful sons. Too be honest I was done. I loved being a mom to three boys. It was my husband who began talking about adoption. It wasn't until I became a Christian at 37 that I felt God tugging at my heart. Five years later, after my husband first mentioned adoption, he went to L.A. and brought home our daughter and placed her in my arms. She was a couple of days shy of 4 months old and Iwas 40. I was so in love! You will understand this if you have adopted.
The big question. How can you fall head over heels in love with a picture? Well that picture is everything too you. I mean everything until your baby is placed in your arms.
Who knew that four years later my husband would fly to S. Korea to bring home our beautiful 15 month old daughter! I was 44! I thought too myself and prayed "God let me be a good mom and not act old!" Then one day before my 52nd birthday our third daughter was placed in my arms by her nanny. Now I was really praying for endurance! :) My daughters have kept me young! I realize my husband and I will never be emptynester's and that is fine with us.
Adoption is the ultimate testimony too describe what God did for us. He adopted all that believe in Him into His family. I love Him passionately! My husband and I believed in His plan for us and stepped out in faith and we were blessed beyond anything we could have ever planned for ourselves.
There are so many orphans in the world. It shouldn't be that way but it is. No matter how bad things are in the world, there will always be orphans. They need us and to be honest we need them! If God has ever touched your heart about adoption, take a step of faith and I promise, you will be blessed!

1 comment:

Daniel and Jamie said...

Elaine - this was beautiful!