Thursday, October 11, 2012

Day of the Girl


Today is the first International Day of the Girl. Many women were asked what they wish they had known when they were 15. This inspired me to write a letter to the 15 year old I once was.
 There are so many things I wish I had known at 15. Above all  I wish I had known Jesus. I wish that I knew it was going to be OK! Being raised in fear,abuse and anger rage would consume me for years. I wish I had known then how strong I truly was and that I would persevere. I felt like a nothing, like no one cared what happened to me.  I wish I had known then that I did not have to be controlled by my circumstances. I wish I could hug that 15 year old girl and tell her that I am so sorry she felt that way. I wish I had known that I would grow up and be surrounded by more love than I could have ever imagined! That I would discover a Heavenly Father who loved me with an agape love that brings me a peace beyond all understanding. And that slowly but surely the anger and rage I felt inside would fade and I would be able to give so much love back.

 Girls all over the world are treated like they have no worth when the truth is they are priceless! They are taught that they can't achieve anything when the truth is that they can achieve everything! They are taught that they are the weaker sex but the truth is God made them strong!
 If we empower girls when they are young they will grow up and change the world. My prayer is that when the girls of today look back to when they were 15 they will not have to "wish" they had known, they can say I knew!

My sweet girls in Ethiopia. 
 Those that are, and those that are growing up to be
. The daughters. The mothers
. The sisters. The fribblings – friends like siblings. 
 The wives. The girlfriends.
 The aunts. The nieces. 
 The grand-somethings. The young uns.
 The teens. The women in your life.
 Who love, lose, cry. Laugh, heal, thrive. Nurture. Create.

No comments: