Friday, July 8, 2011

Coming Home!

I have been waiting to say this for four years...Our Marine will be home in about 13 days! He left home at 18 after he graduated high school to become a Marine. He will come home 22 years old. The past four years we have written, text, emailed or skyped when he could. And he has come home on leave a few times.  But the reality is he has been gone four years and we have missed out on a lot.
I will never forget when he told me he wanted to join the Marines. He was a junior in high school and wanted me to sign some paper that said he could enlist right after high school or something like that. I was so against him joining,  I wasn't going to sign anything!
When he was a Senior he came to me and said "mom in a few months I will turn 18 and graduate within a couple of days of each other and I am going to join the Marines with or without your blessings. I would rather have your blessings."
A few days later I was driving to work, praying and asking God for guidance in this situation. This was my baby boy and the thought of him leaving to fight and possibly die, well, I just couldn't deal with it. So there I am sitting in my car when I heard a voice say "Elaine, give him your blessings and I'll take care of him." I almost wrecked my car! I looked at my radio, it was off. I looked in my rear view mirror, no one was there. Then I heard it again. "Elaine, give him your blessings and I;ll take care of him." All of the sudden this peace came over me and I realized I had just heard God! I couldn't wait to go home that evening and tell Dustin that he had my blessings! And when I did he smiled gave me a big hug a kiss on the cheek and said "that's all I ever wanted mom."
The day we took him to the recruiters office was not easy...at all. When we pulled away the dam burst! I felt like my heart was breaking. I reminded myself of Gods promise and that made it a little easier. He went through some rough times but he persevered. Four years have passed and now he is coming home...for good! We are grateful for everyone who prayed for Dustin. I am grateful for a God who keeps His promises!
On leave!

Waiting for Dustin to come home for Christmas



Buses taking them to their planes for deployment

  
Skyping


Home from Iraq!





Ashley his sweet girlfriend! I know she can't wait for him to get home!

Have I not commanded you?  Be strong and courageous. Do not be frightened, and do not be dismayed, for the LORD your God is with you wherever you go." Joshua 1:9


No comments: