Friday, June 24, 2011

Show them that they matter!

So my beautiful daughter comes home from Ethiopia last week. First, thank you God for protecting her and the teams that traveled.
She hands me a folder and I open it up and see updates of our 38  kids that have been waiting for over a year for a sponsor. Then I see numbers and pictures that don't look familiar to me at all. I keep reading and reality hits, she has sent me information on 45 new kids who need sponsors. I could tell a big lie right now and say that my first response was Yea!!! But like I said it would be a big fat lie. I thought "God I can't find sponsors for the 38 kids who have been waiting. What do you expect me to do now?" Yes, it's OK to tell God your overwhelmed and want to know what He's thinking. Seriously, I was almost in tears. Overwhelmed is a nice word to describe what I was feeling.
As I was waiting on His answer I decided to look through the information and pictures. And there laying before me in the pile of papers and pictures was His answer. These helpless ones, these hungry ones, these lonely ones,these scared ones, these forgotten ones, "these"  need a voice in this world. Now you can sit there and feel "overwhelmed" and use words like me and I or do something about it.
It's is so easy to forget about the "least of these" when we sit in our nice homes, have food, a car, go to school or work. I'm not talking about being well off, I 'm talking about the necessities of life to survive. Shelter, food & water. These kids don't have that. If their fortunate enough they live in a leaky shack at least it's some protection. They usually have no food or water. They desire to go to school but can't afford to. They don't want to beg for food, they do have their dignity, but they do what they have to do so they can survive. There is no "plan" for tomorrow in their lives, survival is one day at a time.
It isn't always fun or easy or comfortable when God calls you to serve Him, which by the way if you proclaim to be a Christian then you have been called to serve Him, but I promise you nothing in the world can bless you like stepping out of that box and doing for others.
So how will these 83 kids find sponsors who believe they are worth the $30 a month it cost to change their lives? Honestly, I don't know but this I know for sure we serve a BIG GOD and if we keep the faith and do our part then He will do His.
Jordan with some of our sponsor kids.
God will make this happen, for He who calls you is faithful. 1 Thessalonians 5:24

No comments: