Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Asking

If you read my blogs you know my husband and I founded the Hug Away Foundation. We are advocates for adoption and orphans. Right now my main priority is finding sponsors for some children in Ethiopia. We have 90 children and many are still waiting for sponsors.
We have a website www.hugaway.org and a blog: www.titus3project.blogspot.com We also help the school they attend once they have a sponsor. I am traveling to Ethiopia in October with a friend of mine and we hope to add a kitchen to the school. For the time being the sweet lady who founded the school is making the meals at her home and carrying them to the school.
One of the down sides to all of this is that I am constantly asking for donations, monthly donors,sponsors or having to come up with ways to raise money. I may ask 100 people for help and get one response. It is very disheartening at times. I often think I can't do this much longer and what is the point. Then God speaks to my heart and I am reminded that we have been called by Him to help those who need us. Everything we have is a blessing from God and we are to share with those who have little or nothing.
I have found that people don't like seeing pictures or even think that there are kids who are starving to death, live in conditions unfit for humans, are targets for sex trafficker, or they are dying because they don't have a simple medicine that could save them. Yeah it is hard to look at those faces and to be honest it isn't my favorite thing to do. Let's face it denial is much easier. And asking for money, well I would rather have a tooth pulled. Uncomfortable? yes. Impossible? no. It is a step of faith.
I found this quote and thought it pretty much said it all.

...orphans are easier to ignore before you know their names.

They are easier to ignore before you see their faces.

It is easier to pretend they’re not real before you hold them in your arms...

.... but once you do, everything changes.

So when you & I hear staggering numbers & statistics about the poor & needy around us & around the world, we have a choice.
We can switch the channels on our mega T.V’s and continue our comfortable, untroubled, ordinary, church-going lives as if the global poor don’t exist.

We can let these numbers remain cold, distant, and almost imaginary....

Or we can open our eyes and our lives to the realities that surround us and begin considering the faces that are represented by these numbers.”
-David Platt




This is the sweetie I sponsor



Give me your eyes for just one second
Give me your eyes so I can see
Everything that I keep missing
Give me your love for humanity
Give me your arms for the broken hearted
The ones that are far beyond my reach
Give me you heart for the ones forgotten
Give me your eyes so I can see


Brandon Heath









1 comment:

Lori said...

Elaine, great thought-provoking entry. I look forward to seeing their faces and holding them in my arms! It really does make a difference. The Brandon Heath song is good. My favorite one now is by Lincoln Brewster - the Power of Your Name. "And I will live to carry Your compassion, To love a world that's broken, to be Your hands and feet. And I will give with the life that I've been given, and go beyond religion, to see this world be changed by the Power of Your Name. Blessings on you and the ministry of Hug Away Foundation!!