Thursday, October 6, 2011

LOVE

This was the last thing I saw when I said good bye to the kids last year in Ethiopia. I remember I truly thought my heart was going to break. If I didn't have a family at home I would have stayed! What is in us that makes our hearts fall in love with a group of children after spending just a few days with them? What is in us that makes our hearts break when we have to say goodbye? What is in us that makes us face our fears, step out of our box, leave the comforts of home, leave our family, work tirelessly raising money for these little ones? What makes us do such a thing?
God that's who. He gives us mercy, compassion, faith, hope and love. The greatest of these is love.

Love gives us power. The power to do whatever God has called us to do. To go out in to the world and make difference. To give of ourselves.




See the picture with the woman and little boy? Often while in Ethiopia we would eat out. We made sure to have enough to "take away." When we were out we would see so many begging for food or money. We were out of our van when this young woman approached us. She had her little boy on her back. I went back to the van to get the food (and a few$) and gave it to them. She hugged me and kissed my cheek. Then I hear this little voice "madam, madam" and the little boy reaches over his mothers shoulder, says thank you and kisses my cheek. The love and gratefulness I felt from them was powerful! Such as small thing we did, but for a moment it made a huge difference to them.


At the school we partner with, food is a very big deal! For most of the children this is the only meal they will receive for the day. It may be the same thing day after day but they are grateful for every little morsel.



They sit in crowded classrooms. But they don't care. They are there to learn and yes receive a meal. They take nothing for granted. Nothing.


They are so happy! And they love us and will tell you so! They have so little but give so much. They are grateful, loving, sweet and good. All they ask for is to have their basic needs met. Food, shelter, and water. When we give them these things they also receive hope, hugs and lots of love!

And this is why we can travel half way around the world to try and make a difference in their lives. Love. Besides that God commands us to go to them!


One more week and myself along with my oldest daughter and a team of amazing women are going to go to Ethiopia. Our plan? To do whatever God calls us to do. One thing for sure we will be giving lots of hugs and loves to those precious kids!






















The Hug Away team will be heading to Ethiopia in one week.



































No comments: