Sunday, July 4, 2010

I Give You My Son


The other day I took my son to the airport knowing in a couple of weeks he would leave for his second deployment.
You stand there waiting for his flight to be called. When it is time you look at him and smile. You will not cry! You burn his face into your mind and heart. You hug this man, your son so tight because you don't want to let go. You kiss his cheek (several times!) whisper in his ear how very much you love him, how proud you are of him and then you let go. You have done all that you can do as his parent. He knows he is loved, you pray and ask God to watch over him and bring him home safe. It is now out of your hands.
You may not agree with the war he will fight, deep down you don't want to let go, but you respect him, this man, your son and his desire to fight for freedom. A freedom God gave us and men and women fight for.
God bless those who choose to fight this fight for us everyday and God Bless America.
I heard this song the other day and it touched my heart. Here are the lyrics to
I Give You My Son

My only son goes off to war, he's unafraid to live and die for a people who don't even know who he is, and I understand now just what you did.

This is my son, my only son, and I give him up for a
people who don't care that they're free at the cost of his life.
I understand now your sacrifice. You gave us yours and I gave them mine.
Lord keep him safe he's my only child. Please bring him back home. This is my son.

I watched him grow into a man and I must believe he's now in your hands,
Lord help me to keep in front of my mind that you gave your Son
so that mine would have life.

This is my son, my only son, and I give him up for a
people who don't care that they're free at the cost of his life.
I understand now your sacrifice. You gave us yours and I gave them mine.
Lord keep him safe he's my only child.
Please bring him back home. This is my son.



1 comment:

Paula said...

May God keep him safe.