Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Division & Opinions

Has everyone forgot what an opinion is?Since when is it a crime for a person to say what he believes? I remember when it was okay to disagree with someones opinion. It sure didn't mean you hated the person, event or organization. It just meant you had a right to disagree.
Dan Cathey stated his belief/opinion. Right, wrong or indifferent he has that right. He never said he hated gays or their store wouldn't serve them he stated his opinion. Our country was founded so we could have this freedom without persecution. Men and women have fought and died for this freedom. But some want to change our right to express our opinions or beliefs and make it their right to force us to accept their opinions, ways and lifestyle.
Personally the ones I would worry about are people who are responsible for running our city and states and country by stating they will take legal action to make sure that Chick-Fil-A would not be able to have restaurants in their city. Seriously? Do they really think they are that powerful? That important! These are the haters! Not Dan Cathey. He stated a belief not a threat!
I am a Christian who has gay friends, friends & family who drink and do other things I don't agree with but that is their choice and my opinion. I love them! I may not agree with them and they may not agree with me but that is okay.
You know one thing I would want people to understand about God is the fact He allows all of us to choose. Believe in Him or not. Follow His way or not.Invite Him in or don't.  He doesn't hate you either way. He loves you anyway!
All those who are trying to force Christan's and others who do not believe like they do to accept their ways or thoughts with threats, protest (and yes this does include religious organizations that take the bible and twist the word to fit  their way & make money) are the haters and the ones that create division in this country and our world, not ones who have an opinion but still love.
Warning. Christians and other who state their opinion in some ways can be arrested or charged with hate speech or a hate crime in parts of the world. Those who began this hate stuff can and will at some point be held responsible for their opinions and creating so much discord in the world. What goes around does come around.
Why can't we agree that it is okay to disagree respectfully?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you Elaine for putting into words what so many are feeling! I've had my share of friends and family not agreeing with decisions I've made in raising my kids but I fought them tooth and nail on it anyway. One day, my mother said to me, "I don't always understand why you make the decisions that you do, but these are your children... keep doing what you are doing and don't ever apologize for it!" Today, I have GREAT kids who are happily raising kids of their own and I'm proud of the way they live their lives. They are independent thinkers whom I don't always agree with but they are not afraid to say how they feel.

Tracy

Anonymous said...

I agree!
Nancy(Kight)Cox